Found in the quaint old town of Malinalco, is the Church and Monastery of the Transfiguration. This impressive building is located in the center of town and was built between 1560 and 1580 by Augustinian monks.
The facade of the building is in Renaissance style, known as Plateresque. The church was built by indigenous architects under the direction of the clergy. Rock was extracted by natives, from the quarries where the Aztec ruins are located 1800 feet above the town.
The open chapel has seven arches symbolizing the seven days of Creation.
On this day a wedding was taking place.
The hills above the town conceal the ancient Aztec site of Cuauhtinchan.