Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Powerful 7.1 Earthquake Strikes Central Mexico






A powerful earthquake today sent me running out of the house. At first there was just a slight shake and then all hell broke loose, I almost could not stand up. As I run outside my dogs followed close behind. It looked like the whole house was going to collapse. My wife was at work downtown Tenancingo and my thoughts were of her. I'm not sure how long it lasted but it seemed to be about one minute.
The quake happened on the anniversary of a deadly 1985 Mexico City 8.0 magnitude earthquake. I've been in a few quakes now but this was surrealistic, like time stood still. After everything settled down I checked the gas lines and the structure of the house, no major damage except the cabana and a covered walkway received heavy damage. After checking everything I started out to see about my wife. I met her on the way she was all shook up, no pun intended. We are fine and our thoughts and prayers are with those who were affected by this tragedy. Will update tomorrow with some photos.
Andrew


No comments:

Post a Comment